Thursday, April 5, 2012

Tiny Artist Easter Eggs

This was one year ago and you can tell on that sweet baby face, she may be bigger but this activity was still a hit!

Check out Tinkerlab for a list of other process art versions.  I have been so impressed by the creativity.

Dear Readers,

We are getting ready for Easter here at the Winterrose house.  Coloring eggs is one of my favorite traditions of the season and so naturally I wanted to share it this year with our families newest addition... but... trying to dye eggs with colorful cups of dyed water is just asking for it with McGilly around so we improvised.  I was inspired by a recipe card I found at IKEA for painted eggs that used washable paint and Voila!  the idea was born.  

In my kindergarten class when we learned about oviparous animals {egg laying animals}, we talked about Condors and the shape of their eggs and how the shape helps the eggs from falling of the steep cliffs the birds build their nests on.  Naturally after learning something like that we have to do a little egg rolling.  We would put a hard boiled egg into a pizza box with dallops of paint and an egg shaped white sheet of construction paper.  Then my kids would tip the box back and forth until they felt their egg was complete {the egg would roll through the paint and leave trails accross the egg}--a little time to dry and they had their very own masterpiece.  For our tiny version we used IKEA tupperwares so that the egg couldn't get enough momentum to break.

And the picture is worth a thousand words! Shake...look....shake....look...look again...look closer...and then reach for mom to show you another one.  I was so glad she liked this, she couldn't get enough and neither could I.  

Happy Easter everyone!

AshLee 

4 comments:

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

What a fun activity! My little one would love this.

Unknown said...

Holy moly, I love this!

LaCimOuRiTsEn said...

I want to shake and look! SO CUTE!!!
xOxOxO
Happy Easter to Amber, AshLee and Baby Iz!

Kristin said...

This is an amazing idea-and they look great! Such a nice way to make sure the little ones can have complete control in coloring eggs! Happy Easter!